2018 Zadoc Long Free Library

The Zadoc long Free Library was a gift to the people of Buckfield by Secretary of the Navy, John Davis Long, and built as a memorial to his father and mother, Zadoc Long and Julia Temple Davis. In 1900, Josephine Thomes sold to John D. Long for the sum of $1.00, the lot of land that the library sets on today. John D. Long contacted his friend and architect, John Calvin Stevens to design the building, which was completed in 1901.  Mr. Long and his relatives liberally supplied the library with books, resulting in a circulation of about 3,000 books, soon after it opened.  The Library was dedicated at the "Old Church on the Hill", during Buckfield's Old Home Week on August 17, 1901.  The Zadoc Library houses many historical items, such as "The King's Arm" a musket used during the French and Indian War (which has been fired every 4th of July since the news of The Declaration of Independence); A Civil War Drum; and portraits of the Long Family.​​​​​​

The Library was originally opened on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 2 pm to 5 pm and from 7 pm to 9 pm to Buckfield residents, only.  In 1964, the library also began serving the towns of Hartford and Sumner.  The library is now open 28 hours a week and houses about 9,000 items (to include books, audio, and video items.  We also belong to a consortium through Maine InfoNet Download Library, which offers over 7,000 downloadable books).

Our Library offers:

  • Interlibrary Loan

  • WiFi and Computers

  • Printing and Photo Copies (.25 cents B&W, .50 cents color - both prices are per page)

  • Children's Story Time

  • Children's Summer Reading Program

  • Fiber Arts Group

  • Book Club

  • Coloring to Relax (drop in - materials are             always available!)

  • Toddler Time

  • Various Special Events (FMI check in with our web page, Facebook or call us at (207) 336-2171

ABOUT US

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now